Skip Navigation

Disability Advocates Work to Ensure That COVID-19 Stimulus Package Doesn’t Harm People with Disabilities

Looking for the most up-to-date information? View www.respectability.org/covid-19.

Washington, D.C., Mar. 23 – As negotiations in the United States Senate bog down around a proposed $1.6 trillion economic stimulus package, disability advocates seek allies to ensure that the government’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic helps, rather than injures, the largest minority community in America.

The nation is facing unprecedented social, economic and health challenges at every level of society and the 1-in-5 people with disabilities are uniquely vulnerable to the disruptive consequences of COVID-19. Whether we are talking about issues of food insecurity, access to healthcare/testing, switching to telework, or life-or-death medical decisions, the disability community is deeply impacted by these events.

Thus far, Congress has passed two major bills to mitigate some of the health and economic consequences of the coronavirus pandemic.

Congress is now debating a so-called “phase 3” bill called the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (S.3548), which was just introduced to the United States Senate Committee on Finance led by Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-IA). This proposal includes a much broader range of proposals including significant support for small businesses, bail outs for industries directly impacted by the pandemic as well as potential up to $300 billion in direct checks for Americans. This proposal also expands unemployment insurance.

This stimulus package could be followed by another bill several weeks from now. If a phase 4 bill would move forward, then it might contain much larger policy changes as the economic consequences of the coronavirus pandemic become clearer.

Across these various proposals, a wide range of disability rights, inclusion and advocacy organizations are working hard to include disability specific provisions. While not an exhaustive list, several priorities are at the forefront of those discussion. These include:

• Ensure that Emergency Income Relief Does Not Throw People with Disabilities off of Life-Saving Health Care and Supports. Some people would receive a check from the government to compensate for lost income. However, at present, the bill would exclude people with disabilities who are striving to work but have not yet secured enough income to file a tax return last year. This also would exclude people with disabilities who are on benefits who are not required to submit a tax return. Likewise, the Senate stimulus package also restricts the amount of such a check based on a person’s existing income. Unfortunately, this would exclude many individuals with disabilities, including the 26 percent of the disability community living in poverty. Lastly, people with disabilities who are receiving SSI face strict asset limits on how much money they can keep month-to-month and people on SSDI are limited in how much money they can earn from part-time work. If the asset limit ($2,000) issue is not addressed in the Senate bill, people with disabilities who are receiving SSI benefits and receive a stimulus check that puts them over the asset limit could suddenly find themselves losing their health care, a potentially life-ending outcome. Likewise, jobseekers with disabilities who are striving for work and face economic hardship at this should not be excluded either.
  • Provide Paid Sick Leave to Family Caregivers for People with Disabilities and Older Adults. As the personal care attendants (PCAs) critical to the day-to-day life of people with disabilities themselves test ill with the virus, we need to ensure that friends and family members who need to take leave in order to meet the critical needs of their loved ones are covered within the paid leave act. People with disabilities must know they are secure in this time of crisis. Similarly, the caregivers themselves also should receive paid leave, to ensure that they are healthy and readily able to return to playing a vital role in the lives of so many Americans.
  • Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) need to be counted as essential staff during the current crisis. Workers with disabilities are caught front and center in the economic disruptions caused by the pandemic. From hospitality employees laid off from closing businesses to essential workers still showing up for work amidst the outbreak, the nation’s 7.6 million workers with disabilities face enormous challenges. Some of those employees with disabilities count on direct support professionals (DSPs) such as job coaches to help them succeed in the competitive workforce. In many states, it is not yet clear if DSPs count as essential staff or not, weakening the web of supports that ensure the success of some workers with disabilities. Thus, federal and state leadership is needed on this issue. The Association for People Supporting Employment First (APSE) is one of the key organizations leading the fight to support DSPs nationwide.
  • Ensure People with Disabilities Have the Medicine and Food They Need in This Time of Quarantine. The realities of quarantine efforts to keep the community safe have fundamentally changed access to food and necessities. Prescription drug and nutrition programs need immediate changes, including an expansion to allow for 90-day supplies of critical medication, to make sure that people with disabilities have the food and medicine that they need in time of crisis. Furthermore, when individuals with disabilities are diagnosed with COVID-19, it is important they can return home when they no longer require hospitalization. In New York, for example. “developmentally disabled patients with the novel coronavirus are remaining in local hospitals past the point of medical necessity because the residential programs that care for them are not equipped to bring them home safely.” Rep. Debbie Dingell in the House and Sen. Bob Casey currently are working on a new legislative package that would direct additional financial resources to a range of agencies, including safety net programs that provide direct support and food security for people with disabilities.
  • Ensuring Digital Accessibility and Supports for Students with Disabilities as Schools Embrace Online Learning. Teachers and parents, as well as students with and without disabilities, are having to adjust to learning from home as schools are being shut down for the foreseeable future. Teachers and special educators are facing significant challenges around how to provide a free, appropriate public education to students with disabilities when you can only connect through a computer screen. As such, some versions of the stimulus packages have included waivers from the explicit requirements of laws such as Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). For special education advocates, waiving these requirements for any length of time would be a catastrophic blow against the rights of students with disabilities. Disability rights groups already are fighting hard against these proposals and working to find better solutions. Likewise, Reps. Angie Craig, Pete Stauber, and Jared Huffman have sent a bipartisan letter to leadership calling for full federal funding to support special education at this critical time.
  • Investment in Workforce Development System to Ensure Skills, Retraining and Success for Jobseekers with and without Disabilities. As the coronavirus pandemic continues, more and more Americans are experiencing the economic consequences of these unprecedented events. As such, the nation’s workforce development system needs further investment by Congress to ensure that it is equipped and ready to retrain laid off workers, connect disclosed workers to new opportunities and meet the unique needs of jobseekers with disabilities. The nation’s workforce development system, guided by the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA), stands ready to meet the needs of workers with and without disabilities caught up in this crisis. However, if the economists are right about the massive scope of impending job losses due to COVID-19, then the workforce system is going to need more funding from Congress.
  • Ensure Equal Healthcare Priority for People with Disabilities. As the crisis intensified in Italy, the government response to the strain on the healthcare system was to systematically ration healthcare away from people with disabilities. This approach is already illegal under American law, but it still happens, nonetheless. In this time of crisis, the U.S. Departments of Health & Human Services and Justice, collectively responsible for safeguarding the rights of people with disabilities under the law, need to send a clear reminder to hospitals, reminding them to treat people with disabilities equally. More recently, leaders at Self Advocates in Leadership (SAIL), Disability Rights Washington (DRW), and The Arc of the United States (The Arc) already have filed a formal complaint against the Washington Department of Health and the Northwest Healthcare Regional Network’s rationing plans. More such plans and lawsuits are likely as the crisis continues.

As discussions continue in the Senate, organizations across the disability community are stepping up and activating their members to make disability issues a clear priority. Among many others, Access Living, National Down Syndrome Advocacy Coalition, and the National Center for Learning Disabilities have developed and distributed online calls-to-action that can be shared widely.

If you would like to know more about how COVID-19 is impacting the disability community, we encourage you to review and make use of the following resources and materials:

Meet the Author

Philip Pauli
Philip Pauli

Philip Kahn-Pauli is the Policy and Practices Director of RespectAbility, a nonprofit organization fighting stigmas and advancing opportunities for people with disabilities. He works with state leaders to develop solutions for youth with disabilities, support job seekers with disabilities and open pathways into the workforce. To reach him, email philipp@respectability.org.

111 comments… add one
  • Avatar Adam Mar 24, 2020, 10:56 pm

I sure do hope I get relief being on ssdi. I became totally permanently disabled with MS from a state given flu shot at my job. Been getting ssdi since late 2018. They’re giving relief checks to people who didn’t lose jobs from this virus so why can’t I stimulate the economy too? Am I not equal? Are we not 1 in this? Nope. Forever divided, forever unequal.

• Avatar Juanita M Braxton Mar 25, 2020, 12:57 am

I totally agree Adam they’re excluding us as if we’re not going through these crisis . But it doesn’t surprise me with either side ,they are living good and have no worries at all about how they’re going to survive or how they’re going to feed there families

• Avatar kelley Ann thaler Mar 25, 2020, 1:52 am

I’m 56 on disability also for the past 2 yrs I raised 4 kids with no child support no gov assistance.i have worked hard waiting tables for 40 yrs.and no I didn’t file taxes in 2018 because I was to I’ll to do so, my income was my adult kids so my 40 yrs don’t count?my ex-husband who NEVER paid support and was court ordered to do so is getting one? How the hell does that make sense?I never got a stimulus check when Bush gave them and yes I did work,I have ALWAYS worked.we all know ppl on SS or disability BARELY get by.so why the hell can’t we get help.isthis population elimination? Is it out of sight out of mind? After I pay what I have to pay I have 22.00 left over a month.thats BEFORE my prescription copay after the meds if I get them I have 6 bucks not even enough to take the damn bus 2times a week.so are we just so low on the totem pole that we just don’t matter? It’s REPULSIVE AND HUMILIATING AND JUST WRONG

• Avatar Teraesa Knight Mar 26, 2020, 10:12 am

Your so right. I dont even get enough to pay my Bill’s with the rent so high I have to get help from my daughter. You said it all!!!

• Avatar A jackdon Mar 26, 2020, 1:49 pm

You are in my prayers. I’m 66 have cancer and had to postpone my heart surgery as I can’t fly to the hospital that has the surgeon. I’m in Maui and we have no heart surgeons. I have to see a specialist and my doctors have told me to wait. Wait until I die? My valve doors (platelets). Are too wide and leaking blood. Every day I’m short of breath and have a hard time breathing. I get 643.00 a month.ssi disability I never have extra money for bills. Get help from economics opportunity. Meo. And feed my sheep which as kind as they are is all food that is not heart healthy. Cans of pork …peanut butter and jelly. No fruit no bread. It’s awful. I can barely afford cat food for Dylan my emotional support cat. He is the love of my life and since I’m totally alone. All family gone he is all I have. A check right now would help me with bills. Gas. Food and rent. The 644 they give me in Hawaii is not enough for anything. I’ve worked my whole life at hotels boutiques. Now with 2 life threatening illnesses I’m forced to stay home. My friend not only is getting unemployment plus extra 600 week for 4 months. She had savings and family. But she gets three checks one for her ..her daughter and grandson. If I could work I would. It’s not fair that we are not included. I have been crying all morning. Not sure how I will survive. Literally.

• Avatar Cyndi Mar 25, 2020, 4:24 am

You are not alone. I’m asking the same question. Suffering from PTSD, Bi-Polar & depression, Diabetes, I have had significant anxiety episodes that I cannot control an under a fixed income of Ssdi. The increase of $200 per month until 2021 is a blessing, however does not make the ability to pay rent, buy medication, food, and the protective items to assist in protection myself. Let’s be positive and declare the government will consider this matter more closely.

• Avatar Thomas Sidorick Mar 25, 2020, 5:33 am

Nope people that are disabled are not considered Americans!! So all the smoke the democrates were blowing up our asses was rhetoric!! So I guess we should just start voting republican because Pelosi said she was going to get us 200 extra each check till the end of 2021!? Well we are not even getting a $1 dollar bill. So from a 2 trillion stimulus package they couldn’t even fight to get us a measly 100 dollars!!! So I guess all 26 million people on disability/social security should just vote republican at least they won’t bullshit us and the last time we got help from Republican President Bush who gave us 300

• Avatar Joshua Mar 25, 2020, 10:03 pm

So true

• Avatar Terence Neill Mar 25, 2020, 11:33 pm

I completely agree with your sentiments about the shaft that the congress and President are giving the disabled.But isn’t voting GOP the exact definition of jumping into the fire from the frying pan?

• Avatar Thomas Sidorick Mar 25, 2020, 5:47 am

I just cannot believe how frigging Unamerican this is!! 2 Trillion dollars and Americans born with disabilities, never asked to be born this way ,yet I’m not Americsn enough to deserve some financial relief because I was born disabled!! So all this crap from Elizabeth Warren and Nancy Pelosi and Shumer are more pathetic than Trump!! I considered myself a Democrate but after this appalling display from the lying Democrates I’ll be damned if I vote for a Democrat because at least republicans don’t lie you know where we stand and ill respect that anyday over a party that is supposed to have our interest at heart! Absolutely pathetic and despicable!!2TRILLION DOLLARS AND NOT EVEN A DOLLAR

• Avatar Douglas medlar Mar 26, 2020, 1:32 pm

Our ONLY voice is at the voting booth. Only when we band together with one voice one vote will we have a voice.

• Avatar Linda Mar 25, 2020, 7:44 am

I worked all my life and paid taxes,i still pay real estate taxes and we are all paying taxes as consumers, I am on a disability because of cancer and multiple health issues from my spine and etc. I know of people who haven’t lost income who will receive the stimulus checks and they are trying to decide if the poor and elderly and disabled should gualify? The last time I looked,we are all still consumers, we can stimulate the economy just as well as others!! It’s a stimulus check ,not a tax refund check,don’t eliminate and discriminate, when most of us need it the worse,we still purchase household products,furniture, homes,cars,etc,make it so that it’s not counted as income,so it protects the health and welfare of us poor!! Thank you

• Avatar Michelle Clark Mar 25, 2020, 9:14 am

God bless you and thank you.

• Avatar Phyllis Sockwell Mar 25, 2020, 9:19 am

Adam it would be great if the disabled would be treated as human and not disposable collateral for the government. I will be grateful for the stimulus but being a realist, I do not see it happening and if we get anything, it certainly won’t be $1200.00

• Avatar Alan Mar 25, 2020, 10:38 pm

I am on SSI because I became disabled at an early age and didn’t make the 20 years of work required for SSDI so I and others like me are screwed in regards to the COVID-19 stimulus bill. From my understanding those who are retired and on SS will get some form of financial assistance. From what I have read I don’t know how much they will receive but according to those who have researched the proposed bill the disabled are screwed. Of course that could change but don’t count on it because people like myself are not considered worth helping.

• Avatar Joe L Griffin Mar 25, 2020, 10:43 am

I didn’t ask to be disabled and as usual I get left out by my government where is it fair when people are still working but yet still gets a check. And for you that think that the check did the government send every month too me get through the month you got to be crazy once I pay my bills Dario’s nothing and I do mean nothing left out of my check so what I’m saying is I appreciate what I get every month but it is nowhere close of me paying what I need too make it through the month I have to go 2 food Bank’s and stand in long lines trying to get food to make it through the month. So for all of you that say we don’t need the stimulus money well think if your mother or father had too do what I have too do just too put food on my table 🤗 ppl may God bless you all

• Avatar Patricia S Pickett Mar 25, 2020, 12:30 pm

I started SSDI in December of 2018 but now in Jan of 2019 my check went from 820 a month to 688 . I would like to know who could live on that for a month and they don’t want to include us in the stimulus. I’m gonna have to go back to work in pain cause I can’t live on 688.00 a month . They take out 144 for medicare and don’t even pay for my prescription. Alot of good 144 is doing paying for medical . I’m so sick of these people thinking I’m getting a handout. I worked all my life and now I can’t but I can’t afford not to . So you people that think it’s a handout try living off of 688 a month and pay prescription cost each month of 20-60 for each medicine or more. Take rent utilities, food , car insurance, I don’t think so , haven’t even got to shampoo, soap . I would like to know who could live off of $688 a month. Then come say I’m getting a handout. I wish Mitch McConnell would try for 6 months let’s see how he would manage. Then see if he would fight against giving us a stimulus check.

• Avatar George Winston Mar 25, 2020, 8:06 pm

You are so damn right

• Avatar Evelyn Mar 26, 2020, 12:05 am

To P.Pickett: I just want you to know that you should look into applying for a program called SHIP (state health incintive program). This pays the 144.00 dollars for you. I am disabled as well and this program has been great. You only have to apply once and you will continue to get it as long as you are on disability.

• Avatar Harry Mar 25, 2020, 12:44 pm

I been on SSDI o er 20years, never had I had to hunker down in my tiny apt. My electric is way past my budget, my food costs way past my budget, my water bill way past my budget. There will be no $ extra for anything at the beginning of April that will last past next few checks while I have to spend all this time at home cause on virus. So yes no fault of mine I to qualify for $help or I will not be able to pay .y bills and end up homeless on $1100 a month.

• Avatar Rhonda Mar 26, 2020, 3:53 pm

How can you be so behind on that much SSDI. I only get $860. A month a month and l do get food stamps l pay my rent, utilities, gas, water first l have no money left for anything l charge my medicines and then make a payment on my credit card. You must lived in a really high housing area l feel for you. I have a cute little two bedroom Jose in s nice area. I wish you luck. God Bless 😇

• Avatar Jarrod Buchanan Mar 25, 2020, 1:54 pm

I receive disability and am a single father of two in this chaos that is happening, praying to receive a lil extra help i the coming weeks to months during this. Its hard enough day to say without this covid 19 to make it. Now that.my boys ate home constantly its making it much more difficult.

• Avatar noneurbusiness Mar 25, 2020, 1:55 pm

Are people on ssi getting a stimulus check ??

• Avatar Adam Mar 25, 2020, 5:26 pm

Unfortunately no

• Avatar Marie Mar 25, 2020, 5:36 pm

From what I have been reading, I don’t think we are. Like I have read here, let those people live on less than $800 a month. I worked for as many years as I could but because it wasn’t enough, here I am. Penalized for things beyond my control. Good luck to you and all those reading this.

• Avatar Sherry Mar 25, 2020, 9:45 pm

I wish people would quit sniveling when just to be so bleakly ‘whoa-is-me’ assuming. Thanks to many Disability groups fighting to include us, Yes, SSDI AND SSI recipients ARE being included to receive the $1200 as well in a month or two!!

• Avatar Michelle Clark Mar 26, 2020, 1:22 am

Being stigmatized and always explaining is no fun. Go talk to rich people that way. Many are dead beats and getting free everything and people kissing up to them.

• Avatar CEEEFF ELL Mar 26, 2020, 4:24 am

Sherry, cut the crap, as , SSI RECIPIENTS ARE NOT GETTING ANYTHING. SOCIAL SECURITY recipients who got a 1099 in the mail WHETHER THEY FILED IT OR NOT, will get a 1200 check, that’s in the bill. NOW, If YOU GET SOCIAL SECURITY but only one lousy dollar SSI, then WTF, that means you lose the 1200?? These are questions THAT HAVE NOT BEEN ANSWERED BY THEM OR IN ANY ARTICLE ON THE INTERNET, AND DEFINITELY NOT BY AARP WHO BRAGGED ABOUT SENDING LETTERS TO THEM OUTLINING WHAT THEY THINK THEIR MEMBERS SHOULD GET IN THE BILL, AND IT WAS APPARENTLY A LOST CAUSE FOR THE SSI RECIPIENTS.

• Avatar Rick Mar 26, 2020, 4:30 pm

What I’ve been reading we will get 300.00

• Avatar s. lindsey Mar 25, 2020, 2:09 pm

I feel your frustration, Adam. My husband and I live on the poverty level, he on total disability for incurable cancer and me on social security. We didn’t meet any ‘required’ level of anything to pay taxes 2018. We subsist on less than $2000 per month and will get nothing while the 18 yo burger flipper still living at home with mom and pop gets $1200. For
    ever divided, forever unequal.

• Avatar Angel Mar 25, 2020, 2:15 pm

Welcome to SSDI, where you are now a second class citizen. If you have Medicaid as your secondary insurance to Medicare then welcome to being a “Welfare Case” also. I’ve been on disability since 2008 and I could list 50+ examples where I have been treated unfairly or have not felt equal to the people around me or servicing me.
    NOW we most likely won’t get a stimulus check because we are invisible, esp if we don’t file taxes. Its all about the money, stock market, etc.. Its never about the actual people.

• Avatar Merri Carpenter Mar 26, 2020, 2:30 pm

So people on ssi but get the 1099 will or will not get a check? Confused. And dyslexic.

• Avatar Scott McDaniel Mar 25, 2020, 2:27 pm

I am disabled and am terribly worried that if they send me an extra $1200 a month I will lose my SSDI. You cited above that disabled people are exempted… Could you PLEASE say what page of the bill that is on? I would really like to see it for myself.

• Avatar Michelle Clark Mar 26, 2020, 1:25 am

I tried to find it on the bill and got a headache 🤕. The bill is over 800!pages. I could not find SSDI or ssi. Maybe someone can post that info for us.

• Avatar Kenny Mar 25, 2020, 3:19 pm

Its been this way from the start the poorest are always forgotten because they are the voiceless no one is speaking for them those that us our problems to appear that they care are only using us to get what they want.

• Avatar Joe valle Mar 25, 2020, 4:08 pm

THIS WILL NEVER CHANGE IN THIS GREAT COUNTRY OF OURS. DISABLED PEOPLE GETS TREATED LIKE A SECOND CLASS CITIZEN AND TRULY LIKE GARBAGE. I CAME FROM CUBA AT THE AGE OF 7 YRS.OLD, I BECAME A U.S. CITIZEN AT THE AGE OF 18 YRS.OLD. I HAVE WORKED MY WLOLE LIFE. I HAVE NUMEROUS HEALTH ISSUES THATS WHY I BECAME DISABLED. I LOVE AMERICA AND I KNOW WITHOUT A DOUBT THIS IS THE GREATTEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD BUT THE WAY THE DISABLED GETS TREATED IS A SHAME/DISPICABLE..

• Avatar Kristen Mar 25, 2020, 4:14 pm

Can anyone answer this? My friend has a daughter with a disability, who is 20. She lives with her, and he mom takes care of her 100%. However, she doesn’t file taxes( as she cant work) will she be entitled to any $?

• Avatar TINA DEMUMBURN Mar 25, 2020, 4:14 pm

THIS IS ABSOLUTLEY RIDICULOUS. NON OF US ASKED TO BE DISABLED AT ALL. UNFORTUNATELY WE DONT HAVE ANY CHOICE IN THE MATTER. I WAS DIAGNOSED WIT MS IN 2013. EVRY DAY IS A CONSTANT BATTLE. JUST LIVING WITH THE DISABILITIES THAT WE ALL HAVE IS SO VERY HARD ENOUGH. THEN TO MAKE LIKE WE DONT COUNT IN THIS WORLD IS NUTS…WE SUFFER ENOUGH GOING FROM MAKING A DECENT LIVING TO BARELY LIVING AT ALL. ITS BAD ENOUGH THAT I FEEL LIKE IM LOOKED DOWN TO BY PEOPLE IN REGULAR LIFE. EVERYDAY IS A CONSTANT STRUGGLE. WETHER IT BE MOBILITY FINANACIAL EMOTIONALLY ETC.EVER SINCE MY DIAGANOSIS I HAVE FELT LESS OF MY SELF AND MY WORTH IN THIS WORLD AND ITS A DAMN SHAME THAT THE WORLD PUSHES IT ON US EVEN HARDER AND HARDER.

• Avatar Adam Mar 25, 2020, 5:31 pm

I advise everyone to take a look at this link. It explains who will get stimulus checks. This is a credible source even though it’s fox lol

• Avatar Adam Mar 25, 2020, 5:32 pm
  • Avatar Loren Mar 25, 2020, 5:59 pm

This is a very large scale and all people on disability didn’t ask for our out come.i workec hard labor and blew out my spine I been forced to make extra money so yes the rich got no worries.all.that I’ll say is the rich lives off the poor.they never experienced a zero balance at there banks last but not least the check I got is $48 to much for extra help…..go figure

• Avatar Adam Mar 25, 2020, 6:22 pm

Not if she has no income no

• Avatar Sonya Mar 25, 2020, 6:26 pm

It’s very sad and cruel that they left off people who are disabled and barely have any income. So disappointed… Just shows how self-serving this country truly is.

• Avatar kelley Ann thaler Mar 25, 2020, 6:41 pm

It’s called population elimination if your not in a certain tax bracket YOU DO NOT EXIST out of sight out of mind

• Avatar Donna Dixon Mar 25, 2020, 7:09 pm

True so very very true!! Bless you sweetie

• Avatar Dawn Morgan Mar 25, 2020, 8:10 pm

According to this article you linked, people on SSI would get a check. Also receiving one are Veterans, Seniors, Low Income and the unemployed. So from what I interpreted from the article, everyone commenting on here will definitely be getting a check! As you should!

• Avatar Charles Mar 25, 2020, 9:08 pm

Patricia, you’re qualified for a progerom called QMB. Contact your local Medicaid office and ask specifically about this. They’ll pay your premium for you.

• Avatar talvin Mar 25, 2020, 9:13 pm

i have been recieving total disability from my jop since 2007 based on how it was set up i never get a cost of living increase each year since 2007. my benefits yearly is less then 18,000 per year how i survie is a blessing there is no information available regarding my situation about trying to receive a stimulis check do anyone have any information i dont and cant work and dont file taxes

• Avatar Kim Littles Mar 25, 2020, 9:36 pm

So SSI will not receive any amount of money, correct? Its confusing because It says SS with no tax return and low income. I am so confused… But I guess it is a NO

• Avatar Juulzls Mar 25, 2020, 10:01 pm

I am on SSI as well.. I was reading up on it. It says we might be eligible.

• Avatar Joshua Mar 25, 2020, 10:01 pm

People on SSI already don’t get much thru the month so I think we should get a stimulus check also we struggle more than the people who get taxes

• Avatar Melinda Spivey Mar 25, 2020, 10:56 pm

The more i read the more confused i am.im on ssd..but i dont get medicaid. I get more than 800…i keep seeing people with that income. Ssd is mjy only income. I dont have to file taxes. Will i be eligable for a check..i have direct deposit already with ss…cant they send it that way? Or do you have to file taxes first?

• Avatar Barbara Noel Philippart Mar 26, 2020, 2:38 am

Melinda
      I’m crying confused too.
      I’m on SSD. My not legally married husband abandoned me in July 2019. I have breast cancer and severe clinical depression. I don’t make enough to file taxes or to live on.
      If u hear anything would u please let me know. Ty. Barbara

• Avatar Timothy A Wieland Mar 25, 2020, 11:55 pm

They r saying that no , you do not have to file a tax return because in 2008 that caused mayhem. They are going to get your information directly from social security administration.

• Avatar Tonya Campbell Mar 26, 2020, 12:29 am

No we are not

• Avatar michael garcia Mar 26, 2020, 12:51 am

They kept telling us we are in this together.BULLSHIT, i’M 61 disabled,I served my country for 6 yrs.I did not ask for this. 2 trillion and they can’t help the people who did the right thing all their life.And we get treated like we don’t count. as a vet i’m ashamed of my country.

• Avatar Bryan Jones Jones Mar 26, 2020, 1:26 am

I guess you didn’t read the revised bill that the Dems fought for…The initial bill the Republicans tried to pass through didn’t event consider those on SSI or SSDI…but since the Dems got involved, SSI and SSDI recipients are now receiving a stimulus check…Dems always look after those on the lower income spectrum…Republicans could care less…

• Avatar Purple Mar 26, 2020, 1:32 am

It’s coming- it was approved and it will be added into your direct deposit if you have it for SSDI or SSI but will be mailed as a check if you don’t have direct deposit- this is coming from Katie porter ca senator

• Avatar Gus Mar 26, 2020, 1:49 am

SSDI/SSI Recipients will be receiving a stimulus check ,the democrats will never forget about us , they know we are the ones who need it the most ,they will pull our 1099 to issue our direct deposit payments ,was just confirmed by Rep .Katie Porter (D) Oversight Committee

• Avatar sharon Mar 26, 2020, 4:32 pm

SSI recipients do not get a 1099

• Avatar Patricia Mar 26, 2020, 1:51 am

Your right anyone on Medicare that
    are either on ssi/ssd they have to apply for Medicaid so the state will pay your premium once you qualify you’ll get on QMB and most programs like, extra help. But one advice to all, got ask before they can let you know for what programs you Qualify for, because if you don’t ask they won’t let you know. (Which my case worker told me). They won’t tell you if you don’t ask what programs you Qualify for.

• Avatar Barbara Noel Philippart Mar 26, 2020, 2:32 am

Hi. So does that mean if you don’t file taxes you will still get it. I have breast cancer and severe clinical depression. I don’t make enough to file taxes and my not legally married husband of 18 years ABANDONED me in July of 2019. I have a little help from a friend, but have not been able to apply for SSI. I’m scared. Ty

• Avatar Elle Mar 26, 2020, 2:47 am

There is a program called Extra Help. They pay for your Medicare premiums and the bulk of your prescriptions. They also pay for the twenty percent co-pay on Medicare doctor visits, etc., via Medicaid. You would need to contact social services in you state. I’m surprised the SSA didn’t mention that to you.

• Avatar Rickey Mar 26, 2020, 3:06 am

I agree with you all the way , I worked all my life and most was through a 1099 and I did pay in to the taxes , became ill and needed surgery and since I was off the books working 1088 I get 782.00 a month to live on and don’t pay not even a quarter of my bills and I find myself in a constant struggle , sis is a joke , don’t get me wrong it’s help but it creates more hardship, I’m a American Citizen and served 13 1/2 years in the Army , are they saying I’m not worth getting a stimulus check?

• Avatar Rickey Mar 26, 2020, 3:08 am

Sorry for the mis-spelling

• Avatar Terence Neill Mar 26, 2020, 3:27 am

I was so hopeful when I heard that Sen. Warren and Sen. Widen were going to fight to give the disabled their share in the stimulus bill. And then…nothing you have to search the internet to even find the proposal even mentioned now that the senate bill was passed. The other ridiculous things they did put into the bill but the disabled are told to eff off.

• Avatar Tyree jackson Mar 26, 2020, 4:35 am

Well from what I heard they have to pay it back next year on the income taxes that’s actually the catch

• Avatar Tyree jackson Mar 26, 2020, 4:38 am

When does the extra $200 come into effect for us

• Avatar Derek Mar 26, 2020, 4:52 am

I work part time less then 15 hours a week , get ssi and ssdi. My work has furloughed me, I’m suppose to apply for unemployment, but if I do under this bill I’d get regular unemployment plus $600 a week, that’d be around $3,000 a month, well over the $1,180 limit. So now I have to decide between eating next month or few months or losing my medical insurance and main source of income just to also lose unemployment when my work reopens?

• Avatar Lowell underwood Mar 26, 2020, 5:23 am

I had to quit working in 2001 because of a work place injury and had to fight SS for 3 years before I got it which cost me a marriage.Missed back up in 1985 and worked till 2001 when things got to bad I just couldn’t work any more.On top of that because of a car wreck in 84 and age having lots of trouble with neck.To think that us on SS can not even get a dollar from that bill makes me pissed and lose total respect for both parties.Guess I wont be voting for any one this around

• Avatar J.B. Abajian Mar 26, 2020, 5:31 am

It starts on Page 144 – Section 2201 – Here’s the text of the bill. https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/6819239/FINAL-FINAL-CARES-ACT.pdf The way I understood it is… (And I may be wrong)… But, any individual who filed a tax return will get a check, even if they did not have a tax liability, but were still employed to whatever degree. Or you would be eligible, if you received a ‘Form SSA-1099: Social Security Benefit Statement’, which is received by SSDI beneficiaries. It’s the form you file, along with your taxes, if you work at all. So, if you only receive SSI, I don’t think you’re eligible, if you haven’t worked at all. And that is, because you would not be losing money from this disaster (that is, unless you just started working this calendar year, and therefore, haven’t been able to file, because it’s not yet 2021). If that is the case, then I would think there would be some way to apply. Maybe through Unemployment Insurance… But, I don’t think disability beneficiaries can get UI, because it’s for individuals who are capable of substantial gainful activity, and not for an individual with a disability who works sporadically, or very part-time, and still receives benefits. But, if you only work a little, I believe you are still eligible, as long as you filed taxes in 2018. If not, then they go by 2019. If you think you know the answer, please comment. I’m only trying to figure out what I read. So, please don’t be upset at me, if I’m wrong.Thank you.

• Avatar J.B. Abajian Mar 26, 2020, 5:34 am

Since everyone is experiencing a hardship. I agree.

• Avatar Michael Mar 26, 2020, 5:37 am

I just get 522 a month SSI because I dont have to rent I live in a one room building they sure ain’t gonna let anyone live descent

• Avatar Kirby Mar 26, 2020, 5:40 am

Are people on SSDI getting checks?

• Avatar Julie Ann Brock Mar 26, 2020, 6:12 am

So the message is if we’re disabled were unworthy of counting for anything, we already struggle to pay our bills that far exceeded our monthly income and now many of the good banks are closed there’s no toilet tissue left anywhere so once our little bit of nothing money comes well be wiping with our hands or dried dirty leaves or such…
    We will be forced to go out into the world and find a way to get our own extra money to get thru this crisis were already sick so who cares if we get the virus we might have Medicaid but no hospital or Dr will see us right now anyway unless we’re in our death bed so black lives matter and “all” Americans matter they say but we don’t matter, so let’s just force us already physically unhealthy struggling to feel healthy and normal disabled people right into depression at the very least, hell why don’t they just line is up and shoot us cause if the ones like me who worked a good party of my life b4 becoming disabled but I feel they the cracks they say so I get the very minimal a amount all the money I paid in when I was a single mom and I worked didn’t mean enough for them even when they told me I just feel they the cracks and there’s nothing they can do about it.. So I give up I just got tested for the Boris because I got sick and now have all the symptoms but I can’t afford the things I will need to take care of myself so I m probably better off if I die and I might because while the government meet takes care of everyone who makes enough money to live comparable but I have medical health issues so who cares if I get sick and die I’m not worth of help I’ve been told the hospital and dress won’t see me the food banks are closed and we’ll if I stop breathing them I’m supposed to call 911 of course if I stop breathing it will be too late for 911….
    Soi have no choice but to find a way to make my own stimulus money and way I can.. But I got the message loud and clear my life doesn’t matter, my life doesn’t count as anything I’m the lowest of low and am not included in the definition of ALL Americans….. Maybe I don’t pay taxes anymore but I did from age 16 to my 40s and the government forgot to give me the right to earned income credit when I was found disabled, when I tried to fight to get more than the bare minimum all I wanted was what I had earned all I get is “sorry honey you’re right you should get more but nothing we can do, you slipped they the cracks.. And this is how it’s been for me everyone looks down on me like I’m so much less important because I don’t have enough money to pay my living expenses sure I get help with housing but I get less food stamps less help from liheap and if I make $10 more than 750a month they take it out of my good stamps or my income and they are worried this stimulus check will effect my health insurance if I get over 2000 hell I don’t even get half that it’s a big joke.. My life is a big joke…I give up caring about my health I hope my test comes back positive and I die it will be no big loss to all those Americans anyway….

• Avatar Chuck ritchie Mar 26, 2020, 8:24 am

Iam on ssdi I get 901.00 a month my rent is 1350.00 plus utility phone,gas,food and everyday exp.i need help

• Avatar Brandon Mar 26, 2020, 8:24 am

Well I guess people with Spinal Cord injuries who never got a chance to work like myself who was in a car accident at 17 years old. I guess we don’t get any help. Its already hard enough with trying to live off $771 a month. Nobody cares about people like myself. I wish I had a chance to work. 😔😔

• Avatar Buddy Mar 26, 2020, 8:34 am

I am on ssdi but I work a part-time job because it’s just not enough to live on. I wonder if I lose that job can I collect unemployment and ssdi? I’m not sure and can’t find answers

• Avatar Carol Mar 26, 2020, 9:30 am

Where did u get that info one time it says 200 a mo then nothing

• Avatar Ray d crank,sr Mar 26, 2020, 9:58 am

I’ve been on SSI for a while now,,,but have worked a lot of years,,, ssa told me I don’t have enough credits,, funny thing when I signed up I had enough,,?? Any rate I bought a home little did I know they had painted over toxic mold,,,and made me the wife,,and a few others sick,,,well I filed suit,,,at the time I did not know the company was owned by Warren buffet, I could out the hard way we were ripped off for thousands of dollars even by our own lawyers,,, it was a joke from the start,,, still very sick severe breathing problems,,,can’t find a doctor,,,plus in order for a safe place to live because of all the allergys had to get a mortgage I’ll never live to pay off,,,at almost 70 yrs old,,, how can this bull happen and nothing can be done about it?????

• Avatar Susie sheppard Mar 26, 2020, 10:16 am

I dont understand why we are not included in the stimulas package we are people too . We vote for these people to get in office we matter then but we dont matter now .what we should do is say the hell with all of them and not vote for any of them for elections. Them maybe we willhave a voice and matter.

• Avatar Shena A Brame Mar 26, 2020, 10:57 am

Its really unfair for part ofthis bill. I have a broken back. Thetefore am unable to work. We should get extra money because 800 a month is not even clise to be ing enough to cover all bills.

• Avatar Phillip M Chick Mar 26, 2020, 11:34 am

If anyone comments negatively on anyone collecting SS due to a disability is a complete monster and I feel bad for the Karma they have to deal with, the amt of money they give you is a joke, i am lucky to have $5 left over after I pay all my bills and thats including shaving and cutting bills and not paying the entire amt due and having Sec 8 housing,EBT and Medical, I am always behind, I Busted my *** for 30 plus years as a Chef working 80 plus hours a week killing my body and having 2 broken disk in my spine,Nerve damage,Scoliosos and sciatica since I was 18 do to a fall on the ice an still worked and made good money even in pain then, Now I can barely even stand more then 10 mins nor can I stay seated for long as well, I even tried Phone/Office work as much as I hated it, I cant run around odviously Mostly all I am able to do is stay inside and drive myself crazy being bored, I would much rather earn a income then collect disabilty they dont give nearly enough and its sad, I would be happy with $2500-3K a month, But I saw on Fox News on the link above it said we were able to get the stimulus check and didnt need to file taxes to recieve it also what is this xtra $200 a month ? If it was true that we got that it would be great but we’ll see, ya never know what to believe anymore, Good Luck Out There People !

• Avatar Annmarie Rich Mar 26, 2020, 11:35 am

I would like to know why people on disability are not getting anything from stimulus package I have already spent any money left from my check on food and supplies I need and I had to also borrow money from family to help. They don’t have the money either with them all out of work now. So how to we the disabled get by when we get so little money as it is.

• Avatar Dorese Simmons Mar 26, 2020, 11:41 am

I researched and I heard on the news people on SSI will get the stimulus check.

• Avatar James Lafferty Mar 26, 2020, 11:44 am

I was disabled 10 years ago due to stroke. Back then I could pay rent and utilities with enough remaining to buy my groceries. Today, I pay bills and have very little left over. Now this virus comes along and I find myself struggling to find even canned goods on the shelf, at twice the usual cost. People tell me “you get a check every month, you don’t have to worry about getting fired!”. I dare anyone out their if you haven’t had to do it, Try It. I will give you $850.00 a month. You pay rent, heat, water. See how much you have left for food. Do that for 10 years! We are so far down, at the bottom of the pile they can’t even see us! HELP US, PLEASE…..

• Avatar Jennifer Mar 26, 2020, 11:56 am

I agree. I am 47 yrs old, have been on disability since i was 26, do not file taxes, and I ALSO NEED & SHOULD GET A CHECK!! I am an honest person on disability, i did not ask to be disabled, and do not feel i should be left out. i make less than $800.00/mo. i pay rent electric car ins. and all the bills that “normal people” have…so why the heck should i not receive help??? People on disability are sometimes the ones who need the most help, yet we are often the most forgotten about, WTF…

• Avatar Louis Nizzari Mar 26, 2020, 12:15 pm

I have the same comment we who are on disability just don’t count they treat us like we don’t matter. I have worked all my life since 2017 I have been on SSI do to sircomstances out of my control it is not right or fair . I get a check for $744.00 a month after I pay my bills I’m left with $35.00 to live on I’m broke from the 5th of the month until the 1st of each month EVERY MOUNTH . I would like to see any politishon live like I do just for six months if they did that then I BET THEN things would change when they see how we on disability really live people now are seeing just a little bit of how us on disability live DAY to DAY MOUNTH to MOUNTH YEARto YEAR. PLEASE HELP AND LET US MATTER WE ARE IN NEED OF HELP NOW

• Avatar John J Mar 26, 2020, 1:33 pm

REMEMBER THIS WHEN YOU VOTE !!!!!!

• Avatar Wade Mar 26, 2020, 2:26 pm

Wrong! Honey

• Avatar GS Mar 26, 2020, 2:38 pm

I want to correct incorrect information in this article. People who receive SSDI do not face any asset restrictions. It is not a form of welfare. It is their Social Security based on what they paid into Social Security over the years through their work. SSI is for those who never earned enough/paid into the Social Security fund and is a form of welfare. SSI recipients have strict asset restrictions, not SSDI.

• Avatar GS Mar 26, 2020, 2:43 pm

That’s a “Republican” attitude. The good news is the Democrats fought to ensure that Social Security recipients also do receive the $1200 check.

• Avatar JLR Mar 26, 2020, 6:07 pm

I’ve been trying to get rehabilitation and work for years but when they know you’re on STATE WELFARE., you’re Hit.. even though I’ve had very good jobs in the past., the government has Us all Stuck in the system!! ., Ya I have no choice but to stay here in poverty as they have Stated.. !! They changed the way they calculate what you put into social security from your work history.. now Your work history doesn’t mean a thing in refer to when you are at full retirement Age because unless you worked 5 years in a 10 year periodPrior to the time of your retirementYear., YOU GET NOTHING !! BUT WHAT YOU ARE ALREADY RECEIVING.. STATE Welfare.. not fair and it sickens me that they have me in a place where I can’t Make Better Of My Life

• Avatar Andy Atkins Mar 26, 2020, 6:55 pm

I have been a caregiver for years I don’t get paid just a roof over my head a d utilities paid. I do have Hip Insurance will I recieve a check

• Avatar Terence Neill Mar 26, 2020, 8:38 pm

Hi Sherry,
    Do you have info we don’t?

• Avatar Julio C Fernandex Mar 26, 2020, 9:19 pm

SO RIGHT. I BROKE MY BACK DRIVING A TRUCK FIR 22 YEARS NOW WE DONT GET HELP…ARE THEY CRAZY..PEOPLE ARE STILL WORKING AND ARE GETTING HELP..THEY SHOULD CHECK WHO US WORKING AND DONT GIVE THEM ANYTHING.

• Avatar kelley Ann thaler Mar 26, 2020, 10:08 pm

• Avatar Brett zelinski Mar 26, 2020, 11:09 pm

Hello in 201y and 2017 i ha a stroke i each of those years then was homeless in2018 meaning i didnt work and paid no taxes then recieved ssi in 2019 and now jm on regular social security will i get a stimulus check thank you

• Avatar Annette Mar 27, 2020, 2:08 am

Sherry..are you sure? I’ve read about everything possible…I’ve seen where they say we’re excluded and also read that we’re included…I just don’t know the truth.. hoping you do…I’m on SSI

• Avatar cam patron Mar 27, 2020, 3:10 am

please dont vote Republican. they have already messed the review period for ssi/ssdi. it is now every 2 years not 5 years like it has been for decades. they also tried to get rid of the judicial review and just have Social security do it. then you appeal. dont be fooled they are coming for us, atleast the Democrats ignore us and leave us alone. awful but to vote Republican with hurt us all.

• Avatar ELLE Mar 30, 2020, 3:11 am

Where did you get that information from?

• Avatar Michael Mar 27, 2020, 9:18 am

Mike D. Just denied payment by Medicare. For leg braces to keep me walking!I have MD1 $3000. Stimulus would shure help! Disabled 6 years (diary farmer)61years old

• Avatar Cynthia Phillips Mar 27, 2020, 11:05 am

This is terrible why the poorest of the poor is excluded, makes you feel so terrible, it’s terrible to be treated like you are worth nothing to society, I have been disabled for many years and I missed 1/4 of a year of work that made a difference in SSI and disability, and I live on 743 dollars a month , and with this epidemic it’s been unbelievable, you have to go to the store many times and to many places just to find a few supplies , and local stores is a lot higher in price , especially since Walmart don’t have nothing in stock! This stimulus needs to be for everyone, we all need help, everything is more expensive except gas and now you can’t go anywhere! Give the poor a break!

• Avatar J.B. Abajian Mar 27, 2020, 10:21 pm

This bill wasn’t designed to update Social Security Disability policy. If you don’t work, you aren’t losing money from this virus problem, theoretically. Still, everyone who lives in this country (here legally), should get a token amount, even if they are not losing money. That would help with national morale.

• Avatar J.B. Abajian Mar 28, 2020, 4:48 am

Actually, I think fraudulently documented aliens. and frankly all illegal aliens who work, should get the same relief check as everyone else, including DACA people. Theoretically, this sounds wrong, but this is a national emergency. I apologize for my previous lack of clarity.

• Avatar ELLE Mar 30, 2020, 3:08 am

Medicare has gotten so strict over the years. They will deny elderly people wheelchairs who need them.