Featuring Sandra Assimotos McElwee, mom of Born This Way cast member Sean – @purpose2inspire!
Hosted by Lauren Appelbaum (@laurenappelbaum) of RespectAbility (@Respect_Ability), this Twitter chat will take a look at ideas explored in #BornThisWay by the young adults with Down syndrome and their parents.
Tuesday, June 6, 2017, 10:00-11:00 pm ET
Don’t have cable? You can livestream the show on A&E’s app.
You can find the questions for this chat in this post.
How to Participate
- When the chat begins, search #BTWchat on Twitter for a series of live tweets: https://twitter.com/hashtag/btwchat?f=tweets&vertical=default
- Follow @purpose2inspire, @Respect_Ability & @LaurenAppelbaum on Twitter.
- Use the hashtag #BTWchat when you tweet.
- Check out this explanation of how to participate in a chat by Ruti Regan: https://storify.com/RutiRegan/examplechat
Introductory Tweets for 6/6 Twitter Chat
- #BornThisWay continues tonight on @AETV. Don’t miss these incredible stories tonight at 10/9c.
- Welcome to our Twitter chat. Please remember to use the #BTWchat and #BornThisWay hashtags when you tweet.
- If you respond to a question such as Q1, your tweet should follow this format: “A1 [your message] #BTWchat”
- When we say PwDs or disability, we’re talking about all types of disability. Feel free to speak about specific communities #BTWchat
- For each domain, we’ll ask for your views, stories, potential solutions, recommendations #BTWchat
- Please share other thoughts as we also livetweet #BornThisWay during #BTWchat!
Questions for 6/06/16 #BornThisWay Chat
- #BTWchat Q1. What are you most looking forward to seeing in this episode of #BornThisWay?
- #BTWchat Q2. Steven is starting a new job as a receptionist. Share advice for transitioning to a new job with new challenges! #BornThisWay
- #BTWchat Q3. Sex education is important for young adults with disabilities. What advice do you have for their parents? #BornThisWay
- #BTWchat Q4. Megan & Steven are serious about their relationship. What challenges exist for people w intellectual disabilities? #BornThisWay
- #BTWchat Q5. How important is to have your parents’ support in achieving your goals – whether you have a disability or not? #BornThisWay
- #BTWchat Q6. Rachel dreams to be an actress, but actors with disabilities are underrepresented. Why do you think this occurs? #BornThisWay
- #BTWchat Q7. How do you make a great first impression at work? How can a job coach help the first few weeks? #BornThisWay
- #BTWchat Q8. In order to live independently, #BornThisWay cast members need jobs. Why is it harder for people with disabilities to find jobs?
- #BTWchat Q9. A central theme of #BornThisWay is employment for people with disabilities. What can be changed to make it easier to find jobs?
- #BTWchat Q10. Do you think any stigma or perceptions about disabilities have changed as a result of watching #BornThisWay?