Want to connect with other people with similar disabilities who are also isolated and trying to get by?
Our COVID-19 Disability Community Gatherings are an interactive ZOOM series that feature expert self-advocates as facilitators and provide opportunities to establish: 1) community connectivity during isolation; 2) time to learn from one another and share resources; and 3) a pipeline to action-based solutions during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Want to hear, learn and share good ideas about how to survive and thrive during isolation?
Then join us! Conducted in a townhall style, each gathering is for a specific population within the larger disability community, and focuses on potential solutions to particular challenges.
Who is running this gathering?
Each gathering is facilitated by self-advocates with expertise in the field. Captioning is provided for all gatherings. To request another accommodation, email Eric Ascher at EricA@RespectAbility.org at least 72 hours before the gathering you are attending.
What can you expect to get out of attending? Together, we . . .
- Foster a sense of connection and communication during this time of isolation;
- Learn from one another and share resources;
- Establish a pipeline for solution-based action.
Want to help hear and/or learn from other people with similar disabilities?
Together, we can identify specific challenges that seem consistent among each disability community’s populations (e.g., the current challenges of people who are blind are different than those of people who use wheelchairs and/or who have mental health challenges).
Want to help ensure that people with disabilities get their fair share as the government delegates trillions of dollars?
Together, we can continue to impact governmental (federal, state, and/or local) responses to the needs of people with disabilities during COVID-19.
- More Gatherings TBA
- April 3 – Low-Vision and Blind Individuals
- April 17 – Low-Vision and Blind Individuals
- April 19 – Millennials and Gen Z-ers with Disabilities and their Allies
- April 20 – Californians with Disabilities
- April 21 – Jews with Disabilities
- April 22 – Women with Disabilities
- April 23 – People with Developmental Disabilities
- April 27 – People who use Wheelchairs
- May 13 – Community Gathering of People Who Use Wheelchairs, In Partnership With The Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation
Past Virtual Workshops for People with Disabilities in the Entertainment Industry
- April 15 – Learn From Ryan O’Connell
- April 24 – Casting, Teaching, Producing and Coaching with David Zimmerman and Diana Elizabeth Jordan
- April 28 – Creating Inclusive Documentary Film and Unscripted Television with members of the Bunim/Murray Team
- April 30 – Finding Success as a Producer and Writer with a Disability with Deborah Calla and Allen Rucker
- May 5 – Disability Portrayals on Screen Hit a Landmark High with Madeline Di Nonno