Featuring Sandra Assimotos McElwee, mom of Born This Way cast member Sean – @purpose2inspire!
Hosted by Lauren Appelbaum (@laurenappelbaum) of RespectAbility (@Respect_Ability), this Twitter chat will take a look at ideas explored in #BornThisWay by the young adults with Down syndrome and their parents.
Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 10:00-11:00 pm ET
Don’t have cable? You can livestream the show on A&E’s app.
You can find the questions for this chat in this post.
How to Participate
- When the chat begins, search #BTWchat on Twitter for a series of live tweets: https://twitter.com/hashtag/btwchat?f=tweets&vertical=default
- Follow @purpose2inspire, @Respect_Ability & @LaurenAppelbaum on Twitter.
- Use the hashtag #BTWchat when you tweet.
- Check out this explanation of how to participate in a chat by Ruti Regan: https://storify.com/RutiRegan/examplechat
Introductory Tweets for 7/18 Twitter Chat
- #BornThisWay continues tonight on @AETV. Don’t miss these incredible stories tonight at 10/9c.
- Welcome to our Twitter chat. Please remember to use the #BTWchat and #BornThisWay hashtags when you tweet.
- If you respond to a question such as Q1, your tweet should follow this format: “A1 [your message] #BTWchat”
- When we say PwDs or disability, we’re talking about all types of disability. Feel free to speak about specific communities #BTWchat
- For each domain, we’ll ask for your views, stories, potential solutions, recommendations #BTWchat
- Please share other thoughts as we also livetweet #BornThisWay during #BTWchat!
Questions for 7/18/16 #BornThisWay Chat
- #BTWchat Q1. There’s been a lot of criticism of both Megan & Steven on social media. Do you think that is appropriate? #BornThisWay
- #BTWchat Q2. Lots of new couples this episode – Rachel & Robert and Elena & Dominic. What advice do you have for them? #BornThisWay
- #BTWchat Q3. Megan has her own business: @Megology. Why is it important for ppl w/ disabilities to be able to be entrepreneurs? #BornThisWay
- #BTWchat Q4. An ABLE account allows Megan to save money without losing her benefits. How is this a gamechanger for PwDs? #BornThisWay
- #BTWchat Q5. What advice do you have for teaching financial literacy to young adults with disabilities and their parents? #BornThisWay
- #BTWchat Q6. What advice would you give to a future parent expecting a child with Down syndrome? #BornThisWay
- #BTWchat Q7. How does seeing people on TV with disabilities like #BornThisWay make you feel about your own disability?
- #BTWchat Q8. What types of shows, besides reality TV like #BornThisWay, do you want to see people with disabilities represented in?
- #BTWchat Q9. #BornThisWay shows diversity of people w/Down syndrome. How important is it that POC with disabilities are portrayed in media?
- #BTWchat Q10. Do you think any stigma or perceptions about disabilities in society have changed as a result of #BornThisWay?